I started pricing window coverings forever ago. It's friggin' impossible to walk into a store and buy them off the shelf and the cheapest I could order were nearly $80. Nope.
So I trekked down to the nearest trading post and began scheming. (I walked aimlessly around Hobby Lobby for 2 hours.)
Here's what I ended up with:
2 oversized red buttons
A sewing kit
5 yards of linen colored batiste (at a whopping $3/yard!)
A dowel rod
Grand total: $27
Step One: cut dowel rods to fit inside the windows.
Step Three: Measure out the length of your window, plus 1 inch. The extra inch is for the fun of it. Place your dowel rod on the mark.
Step Four: Staple the sides of the fabric to the ends of the dowel rod. Staple straight or you will have to redo it! So I hear. I've also used hot glue instead of staples. Anything to not have to sew.
Step Five: Wedge the dowel rod into the frame with the staples facing the top.
Step Six: This is the fun part! Tie the front layer in a knot. Or gather it together and bind it with a tassel. A bow. Or a giant red button! I "sewed" it on with yarn.
Step Seven: Rinse and repeat!